1 medium bowl
2.5 hrs (Prep and cooking: 30 mins. Chill: 2 hrs)
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 .5 cups water
Juice of 2 lemons (reserve a lemon half for squeezing over just before serving)
1 bunch English parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp mint, finely chopped
2 Japanese cucumbers (small-ruler length), diced
2 scallions (or spring onion), finely chopped
3 tbsp EVOO
Salt & coarse black pepper
Handful of raisins
1. Bring water to boil in saucepan. Add bulgur wheat, a sprinkle of salt, turn down heat and let simmer till most of water is absorbed (about 20 mins).
2. Scrub cucumbers with brush. Chop off hardened ends. Deseed and dice.
3. Peel off withered outer layer from scallions. Chop off hardened end and leafy point. Chop finely.
4. Rinse mint leaves and dry. Pluck leaves and finely chop.
5. Repeat above step with parsley.
6. Add cucumber, scallion, mint and parsley into salad bowl. Squeeze over juice of 1.5 lemons, add EVOO, salt, coarse black pepper and raisins.
7. Add bulgur wheat into bowl. Fluff with two forks and toss with everything else.
8. Cover with clingfilm and leave in fridge for 2 hours.
9. Remove from fridge, add remaining lemon juice and more S&P. Toss and serve.
Refrigeration seems to take some edge off the flavours, so add more lemon juice and S&P after removing from the fridge.