1 medium bowl
200g bag spinach
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
1/2 cup full-fat milk
1/4 cup single cream
Fresh nutmeg, for grating
1/2 handful pine nuts, halved
Table salt, coarse pepper
1. Chop off spinach roots and remove a portion of tough stems. Rinse remaining spinach and dry thoroughly in paper towel.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 mins, then slowly start to whisk in the milk. When it has all been incorporated, gently cook for 5 mins until the sauce has thickened. Turn down heat.
4. Stir batches of spinach into the sauce with the cream, gently heat, and then finely grate over some nutmeg and season well. Stir in pine nuts.
– Do not over-add milk and cream. Two words: sopping mess.
– At the end of it all, season well. Like, REALLY well.