4 thick slices bread
1 garlic clove, unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
EVOO (fruity, green type)
2 tsp table salt
For tomato mixture:
2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and cut into rough cubes
Handful of fresh basil, torn into small pieces
Table salt, coarse pepper to taste
1. Make tomato mixture by mixing all the ingredients.
2. Toast bread on both sides.
3. Take a half garlic clove and rub each slice of bread with the exposed inside of the clove, squeezing the garlic between your fingers to release its juices into the bread.
4. Drizzle bread liberally with fruity olive oil. The slices should be nicely soaked.
5. Salt the slices to taste and top with tomato mixture.
– The tomato mixture needed plenty of salt and pepper.
– Ensure bread is not toasted till overly crisp. Some softness will let it soak up the bread.
– Tomato mixture can be pre-made, chilled in the fridge, and removed 10 mins before serving.