If this dish were any easier, I’d be doing it in my sleep. No technique is required, just a low fire and LOTS of patience, because it takes at least an hour for the onions to cook down into a soft, velvety heap.
1 hr (Prep: Negligible. Cook: 60 mins.)
2 medium onions
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
2 pinches table salt
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Chop the onions from stem to root. Slice into strips.
2. Heat the butter and oil on low heat. Add onions and salt.
3. Cook for 30 mins, stirring every 5-10 mins. The onions should turn brown slowly.
4. Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Stir for another 20-30 mins.
5. Sample a strip. If still crunchy, cook for longer. The onions are ready when cooked soft.
– Keep the heat low and resist turning it up.
– You don’t have to keep a constant vigil at the stove. Just return to it every 5-10min to give it a stir and make sure nothing is burning.